Friday, October 29, 2010

Life must go on

The past 6 days have been filled with tears of sorrow, tears of joy, laughter, stories, highs, lows, hugs, kisses and family, family, family!  Time went by both crazy fast and painfully slow, everything blurred together, and there were intensely distinguishing moments.  At times it was almost as if the outside world stood still and all that mattered was that Eric and I existed for each other.

The past week, I was able to spend a lot of time with Eric's (and my future) extended family.  I wish it was under different circumstances, but it really was great to get to know his aunts, uncles and cousins on a more personal level.  I am so incredibly blessed to marry into such a wonderful family!

Wednesday night at the viewing/rosary, Eric and Vicki shared stories and thoughts about Opa Henry.  There wasn't a dry eye at the funeral home as they shared happy moments and aspects of Opa's unique personality/characteristics with friends and family.

We buried Opa yesterday morning in a beautiful ceremony at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Fredericksburg.


This was the first time I had seen the amazing church, and was honored to perform the readings at the ceremony.  I almost never have trouble speaking in front of people, but this time I certainly had to focus on keeping my composure and not letting emotions get the best of me.  Looking into the congregation of loved ones took me back to August of last year when I read the eulogy at my grandmother's funeral.  There just is not anything easy about letting go of a loved one, or seeing a loved one hurt.

As much as it seemed at though everything stood still for a while, life must go on.  I took Eric to the airport yesterday, and he went back to the rig today.  That was a tough goodbye.  My mom and I are currently sitting in our hotel room in Orlando, Florida, excited to witness the shuttle launch on Monday.  We must move forward, but we must never forget the incredible man the world lost on October 23, 2010.

xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment