Monday, January 24, 2011

The Book of the Future

I'm a nerd.  Just ask my future husband or brother, or really anyone that knows me.  I love to read and do so often, especially when I'm traveling.  We haven't even made it through January and I've been to Denver & Midland, and have at least five more (airplane) trips planned over the next several months.  So now that I've re-established myself as a semi-frequent traveler (whether for work or personal reasons), I have a big, HUGE, very important decision to make:

The Kindle, The Nook,

The iPad,

or the time-honored-traditional Book.

If I were to go down the electronic copy, I'm pretty sure I'd prefer the iPad, and I'm pretty sure that is self explanatory.  I love my MacBook Pro, my iPhone, my iPod, etc.  However, the iPad costs much much more than the other two alternatives.  Additionally, after doing some internet research, it seems like the non-LCD back lit screens of the Kindle and Nook are more reader-friendly. They don't cost as much, but they don't offer as much either.

There are a ton of articles/blog entries about which option is best, but I think it is going to come down to me physically holding each one and seeing which is the most comfy and most readable.  For strictly a book reader, I have read and heard a lot of good things about the Kindle...  

As much as I really do enjoy holding a book and seeing my progress as I turn pages, I think that I may become an e-reader soon... I mean, I'd rather take a little guy vs. a couple books when we are spending over a week in paradise on our honeymoon! (Ok, so I know reading isn't top priority on a honeymoon, but there may be a few minutes to spare from our newlywed activities.)

One part of the physicality that I'll miss-- bookmarks!! I think this stems from when I was in elementary and was given a specific amount of money to purchase books.  Then, as long as I had good grades (which I always did, remember, I am a nerd) I'd get some extra cash-money to pick out a bookmark.  Now there's a tough decision: princess bookmark or soccer bookmark??!



MW

No comments:

Post a Comment